by Sharen Maguire
An easy recipe to keep you warm in these cold winter months.
- Yield: 8 - 10 servings
- Category: Recipes
- 4 lb yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large, sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 c freshly shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 c mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 c soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 1/4 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 5/24 c crushed French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook yellow squash and sweet onion in a Dutch oven with boiling water to cover for 8 minutes or until vegetables are just tender; drain squash mixture well.
- Combine squash mixture, freshly shredded Cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, basil, garlic salt, pepper, eggs, 1 cup breadcrumbs, and ¾ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 13” x 9” baking dish.
- Stir together melted butter, French-fried onions, and remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs and ½ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle over squash mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.