The Sunshine Coast Botanical Garden welcomes school groups to help students and adults deepen their understanding of Nature, offering programs for the elementary grades based on the season’s special opportunities. Teachers are also welcome to make special requests for program topics. Our overall theme is the vital interdependence (ecology) of plants and animals
SPRING VISITS Please choose ONE program per class visit.
- Bees & Blooms, Plant and Pollinators. K – 4. Children check out the Bee Yard, and learn about the interdependence of plants and pollinators, including native plants and insects. They will explore the Botanical Garden in spring using their five senses. They might even meet the Queen! program available after 11 am only for best insect activity.
- Ponds Spring to Life. K – 5. Discover the egg masses and tadpoles of amphibians as they mature into adult salamanders and frogs, plus a myriad of other pond-dwelling life. The ponds have an astonishing wealth of plant and small animals! Try net-dipping, dragon-fly spotting, proper creature handling, and hand-lenses. Life began in the water, and it still does.
- Habitat and Biodiversity. 4 – 7. Students will observe the complexity of life forms in even a small habitat, and learn the about their interdependence. Where do invasive species fit in? Classes may also take action with a session of Scotch Broom or Himalayan Blackberry bashing, with emphasis on safe use of tools. Enquire about a visit to the Bee Yard, or ponds.
- SEEDS – The Clever Travel Plans of Plants Children explore, collect, sort, and learn the names of the parts of some of the seeds from trees, shrubs, grasses or vegetables at the Garden. They will build nature & plant vocabulary, and observe the strategies of plants to grow again and again by dispersing seeds. The Botanical Garden is a lovely place to explore using the all senses.
Duration: 1.5 hrs unless other arrangements made. This includes a short time to play.
Cost: $2.00 per student. No charge for accompanying adults.
- Most field trips are on Thursday or Friday during spring hours.
- Guidelines will be sent upon booking.
- Programs run rain or shine unless otherwise arranged.
- You are welcome to bring a snack or picnic and to enjoy our Picnics and Play area. Teachers are responsible for this portion of the day.
- Journals are encouraged, and some reference materials are available.
- We have plenty of space for bus parking and parent drivers.
For booking and information contact Mary at email@example.com or telephone 604-740-3969.